|Posted by Darryl Wolk on August 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM||comments (0)|
Problem: Newmarket has some of the highest recreation user fees in the entire province.
· Will the shady secret soccer bailout put additional pressure on user fees, property taxes and town reserves? Time will tell but I have serious concerns about this questionable deal. There are many red flags and it is unfair to other sports groups.
· The Newmarket Theatre is losing $1M per year and local groups cannot afford to use it.
· Our Seniors Centre is not in a state of good repair.
· Events have stopped coming to the Ray Twinney Complex after Council attempted to ban the circus costing taxpayers $86k in user fees. Newmarket would benefit from additional festivals.
· A drive around the Region demonstrates that our recreational facilities are not on par with our neighbours. Many children and adults are playing in Aurora, Bradford and EG to avoid the high fees in Newmarket.
Solution: We need to focus on encouraging healthy and active lifestyles.
· Newmarket must encourage healthy and active lifestyles. I support expanding our trail system.
· Sports also teaches valuable team building and life skills. We need to invest in outdoor hockey rinks and a turf field.
· We need to promote local talent in the visual and performing arts. I want to honour Jim Carrey and John Candy who were born in town.
· We need to focus our priorities on reducing user fees, maintaining town assets and festivals that bring our town together and visitors. I would like to see a Fall Fair, Newmarket Day and the return of the Hot Air Balloon Festival.
· I would like to bring quality events back to town at the Ray Twinney Complex.
· We need to recruit better acts and performances to cut losses at the Newmarket Theatre and get Old Town Hall costs under control.
· We can do much better on recreation and the arts.
To learn more about a Newmarket where ALL kids can play, please read my full platform at: http://www.votewolk.com/platformofideas.htm