|Posted by Darryl Wolk on August 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM|
Problem: Has the Newmarket and York Region Councils focused on the wrong transit priorities for Newmarket? YES.
· We need all-day, two-way GO Train service. We do not need dedicated bus lanes on Davis Dr. or Yonge St.
· Why are YRT fares the highest in the GTA? Many riders complain about poor transit services.
· York Region Transit had a 91 day strike impacting the confidence of riders. Buses always appear empty in Newmarket.
· The needs of Mobility Plus clients are not being met according to those who use the service.
· Why has the $100M Davis project taken longer than the Hoover Dam DVP and Burlington Skyway? This has impacted the quality of life for residents and forced many businesses to be negatively affected and for some businesses to close.
· Why are all major roads in Newmarket under construction at the same time? Poor planning. The Bathurst extension project that will relieve traffic on Yonge has not been a priority. Newmarket is stuck in gridlock and the answer is not taking our bikes to work. 90% of Newmarket residents commute by car.
Solution: We must immediately strike a transit committee of experts and focus on the right transit priorities.
· Why is Davis Dr. only 47% complete? I will make the best of a bad situation.
· A committee could speed up construction and work around the clock. Can we wait until 2017 to complete this project at the current pace? NO. I do not support repeating Davis mistakes on Yonge.
· We should scrap the dedicated bus lanes and encourage Metrolinx to invest in two way, all day GO Trains instead.
· We need to move forward with the Bathurst extension now to reduce gridlock on Yonge.
· We must advocate for extending the 427 North and the Bradford By-Pass.
· Extending the Yonge subway line north is a crucially needed public transit project in York Region.
· I support a complete review of York Region Transit to address fares, service, accessibility and to ensure we are efficiently meeting the needs of public transit users.
To learn more about getting Newmarket moving again, please read my full platform at: http://www.votewolk.com/platformofideas.htm