|Posted by Darryl Wolk on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM|
Problem: This Newmarket Council term, has seen too many secret in-camera meetings and sole sourced contracts. Council voting against posting their voting records online is not acceptable. While some expenses are now posted online, some such as the green slush fund remain hidden.
· Freedom of Information (FOI) requests have been declined on the secret soccer deal.
· Why was a common sense motion to elect the York Regional Chair defeated at Newmarket Council in favour of an appointment system?
· Why aren’t Regional Council meetings not televised or live streamed?
· Why is it so difficult for average residents to stay informed on what is happening at Newmarket Town Hall and York Region Council?
Solution: We need open government with oversight from the Ontario Ombudsman.
· Why aren’t Councils voting records, attendance records and all expenses posted online for both Newmarket and York Region?
· Why are there so many secret in-camera meetings and why aren’t very clear explanations given when it is necessary?
· Why aren’t all contracts open, transparent and competitive?
· Isn’t it time to directly elect Canada's highest paid head of Council, the York Region Chair? Democratic elections for Regional Chair will provide a mandate, accountability and increase interest in Regional issues. We cannot expect the public to get engaged in our local democracy if everything is done behind closed doors.
To learn more about a Newmarket that is open and transparent, please read my full platform at: http://www.votewolk.com/platformofideas.htm